Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What Shall I Pray?

What Shall I Pray?
James Dinsmore

My Lord, my God, I’m not sure what to pray,
Many are my needs, but I don’t know what to say.
If I asked for contentment in all I have and do,
What yearning will be left to make me turn to You?

My Father, my Friend, I’m not sure what to pray,
Many are my troubles, but I don’t know what to say.
If I asked for an easy road and success in all I do,
What problem would provoke me to depend again on You?

My Master, my Teacher, I’m not sure what to pray,
Many are my questions, but I don’t know what to say.
If I asked for insight to understand all I need to be and do,
What confusion would make me approach and listen to You?

Then, since I don’t know what to pray,
“A closer walk,” and “your will be done” is exactly what I’ll say.
I must deny a self-sufficiency in anything I do,
For the Christian life is made complete as I abide in You.


Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. John 15:4

No comments: